Disney Details New Streaming Service
At its recent Investor Day event, The Walt Disney Company outlined plans for its upcoming streaming service, Disney Plus. The House of Mouse detailed the 25 original series and 10 original films, documentaries and specials it expects to launch within the first year of the service’s debut.
New content from Marvel Studios includes:
- “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier,” a live-action series starring Anthony Mackie as Falcon and Sebastian Stan as Winter Soldier;
- “WandaVision,” a live-action series with Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff and Paul Bettany as The Vision and
- “Marvel’s What If…?,” an animated series from Marvel Studios, where each episode explores a pivotal moment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and adjusts the outcome to see what would happen differently.
New content from Walt Disney Animation Studios includes:
- Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2, a behind-the-scenes documentary about the making of the upcoming sequel to Frozen.
New content from Pixar Animation Studios includes:
- “Forky Asks a Question,” an animated short series inspired by the Toy Story character.
- “Lamp Life,” a short film about the long-time Pixar mascot.
New content from National Geographic includes:
- The World According to Jeff Goldblum, a documentary series starring Goldblum as he explores topics on science and technology and
- Magic of the Animal Kingdom, a documentary series about the inner-workings of Disneyland’s Animal Kingdom theme park.
New content from Disney Television Animation includes:
- The Phineas and Ferb Movie (working title), an animated film featuring many of the original voice cast of the popular children’s series.
The new projects will join previously announced content for the streaming channel in the Star Wars, High School Musical and Marvel universes. Along with new content, Disney Plus will also stream Fox titles such as “The Simpsons,” The Sound of Music, The Princess Bride, and “Malcolm in the Middle.” The company won the rights to all Fox titles following its acquisition of 21st Century Fox earlier this year.