April 6, 2018
Toy retailer highlights this year's hot toy themes including dinosaurs and STEAM.
This year’s trends reflect popular themes seen across television and film, as well as a movement to encourage exploration and creative thinking.
The four trends are Age of Dinosaurs, Full STEAM Ahead, Lil' Sous Chefs in Training and Pets with Personality.
“As the world’s leading dedicated toy retailer, Toys 'R' Us leverages industry insights, monitors purchase patterns and observes culturally relevant themes to understand what parents and kids gravitate toward each year,” says Richard Barry, executive vice president, global chief merchandise officer, Toys 'R' Us. “Whether it’s cooking up fun pretending to be a chef, caring for a technologically savvy pet or promoting curiosity and learning through play, these trends include some of the hottest new items for the 2015 holiday season.”
The following are the Toys 'R' Us 2015 Toy Trends,as well as select toys exemplifying each category:
Age of the Dinosaurs
Inspired by new, hit movies, including the blockbuster
and the highly anticipated release of Disney’s
The Good Dinosaur,
as well as dinosaur-themed shows such as DreamWorks Animation’s "Dinotrux," it is Mesozoic mania on toy shelves this holiday season. TRU predicts toys such as the following will resonate with parents and children:
- "Dinotrux" Mega Chompin’ Ty Rux from Mattel
- Imaginext Ultra T-Rex from Fisher-Price
- Jurassic World Hero Mashers Ultimate T-Rex from Hasbro
- Zoomer Chomplingz from Spin Master
- Zoomer Dino Jurassic World Indominus Rex from Spin Master
Full STEAM Ahead ?
STEAM has emerged as one of the most popular trends among parents wanting to introduce the areas of science, technology, engineering, arts and math to children as part of playtime. These unique playthings are dedicated to advancing inquisitiveness while helping to spur strategic and creative thinking:
- AnkiOVERDRIVE starter kit from Anki
- Bright Beats Dance & Move BeatBo from Fisher-Price
- Meccanoid GKS from Spin Master
- Project Mc2 dolls from MGA Entertainment
- Smart Toy bear from Fisher-Price
Lil’ Sous Chefs in Training
From pictures on social media to an entire network of celebrity chefs, the kitchen is the popular place to be. These crafty, delicious toys help spark imagination while creating personalized playtime experiences:
- Candy Craft chocolate pen from Skyrocket
- Play-Doh Cookout Creations from Hasbro
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pizza Oven from Wicked Cool Toys
- The Real Cotton Candy Maker from Cra-Z-Art
- Yummy Nummies Mini Kitchen Party Sets from Blip
Pets with Personality
Kids have always found a friend in their favorite stuffed animal and now they are gravitating toward play pets that can interact with them. The following toys are just a few of the playthings kids will be clamoring to adopt into their playroom:
- Chubbie Puppies mega set from Spin Master
- Clever Keet from Moose Toys
- FurReal Friends JJ, My Jumpin’ Pug from Hasbro
- Little Live Pets Lil’ Mouse Deluxe Play Trail from Moose Toys
- Zoomer Whiskers from Spin Master
Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes, it’s completely free.