Tongal to develop videos featuring Thomas & Friends, American Girl and more.
Mattel has teamed with Tongal to create a wide variety of video content for brands across its portfolio including American Girl, Barbie, Hot Wheels, Monster High and Thomas & Friends.
The content will beginning debuting on each brand’s respective YouTube channel this year.
“In collaborating with Tongal, we’re finding new ways to bring our beloved brands to life and deliver engaging content that take brands like American Girl, Barbie and Hot Wheels beyond the toy aisle to computer and mobile screens and showcase fans’ passion for their favorite childhood brands,” says Sid Mathur, senior vice president, strategic development, Mattel. “Working with Tongal, we’ve been able to tap into a new pool of content creators that expand and diversify the kinds of engaging content we can offer to fans.”
Among the content planned for 2015 are:
- American Girl: In their first collaboration with Tongal, American Girl enlisted the help of the crowd-sourcing platform to bring its iBeForever characters, 1950s Maryellen and 1970s Julie, to life in a whole new way. Everything from the screenplay to casting to film production is being sourced through Tongal, and the project has already received an unprecedented response, with 1,134 audition videos received for the roles of Maryellen and Julie, and a record 4,000 responses in the public voting phase for casting. The completed short films for both Maryellen and Julie are set to debut later this fall on American Girl's YouTube channel.
- Barbie: Created music videos from four different filmmakers for the new Barbie original song “Raise Our Voices.” The song was featured in the new animated Barbie Movie, Barbie in Rock n’ Royals, which debuted this September. The music videos will launch on the Barbie YouTube channel in advance of the movie release.
- Hot Wheels: Creating a series of YouTube-exclusive videos that capture fans’ excitement for Hot Wheels. Since launch in June, these videos have received more than 2.7 million views collectively.
- Monster High: Creating a 3- to 5-minute short live-action film that centers on the theme of inspiring girls to be themselves and celebrates the release of Monster High’s new “Boo York, Boo York” DVD on Septe. 29.
- Thomas & Friends: A 30-minute documentary that celebrates the 70th anniversary of the Thomas & Friends brand in 2015 including its rich history, current success, and exciting future. Titled “Thomas & Friends: 70 Years of Friendship,” the documentary premiered on YouTube on July 14, and is the first long-form content available on the Thomas & Friends YouTube channel.