The most successful licensed properties of the past year were recognized at the International Licensing Excellence Awards organized by the Licensing Industry Merchandisers’ Association Tuesday night at Licensing Expo, in Las Vegas, Nev.
This year’s 17 winners were culled from a diverse lineup of 85 nominees and determined by a vote of the LIMA membership.
Among the top winners from last night’s event was Angry Birds from Rovio Entertainment, which flew away with three awards, including Best Licensed Program; and national retailer Walgreens, a first-time Licensing Excellence Award winner, which won Best Retailer for The Biggest Loser.
“It is particularly gratifying to see classic brands sharing the spotlight with newer favorites,” says Charles Riotto, president, LIMA. “This year’s award recipients provide a telling look at what helped drive the sale of licensed properties and products during the past year, while providing insight into some of the properties, players and licensing categories that are poised to drive success in 2012 and beyond.”
Two licensing legends were also inducted into the LIMA Hall of Fame at Tuesday's event: Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing and the late Stan Clutton, former senior vice president of inventor relations, new business and in-bound licensing at Fisher-Price.
The winners of this year’s International Licensing Excellence Awards are:
Art or Design
- Best Art or Design Program: The Victoria and Albert Museum
- Best Art or Design Licensee: Navigate (for Very Hungry Caterpillar children’s gardening products)
Character or Toy Brand
- Best Character or Toy Brand Program: Angry Birds (by Rovio Entertainment)
- Best Character or Toy Brand Licensee–Hard Goods: Commonwealth Toy & Novelty (for Angry Birds toy & novelty products)
- Best Character or Toy Brand Licensee–Soft Goods: SGFootwear (for Pillow Pets slipper collection)
- Best Corporate Brand Program: Jelly Belly (by Jelly Belly Candy Company, The Licensing Company North America)
- Best Corporate Brand Licensee–Hard Goods: Thermos (for Under Armour hydration bottles)
- Best Corporate Brand Licensee–Soft Goods: SGI Apparel (for Harley-Davidson children’s apparel & accessories)
Film, Television, Celebrity or Entertainment
- Best Film, Television, Celebrity, or Entertainment Program: Peppa Pig (by Entertainment One)
- Best Film, Television, Celebrity, or Entertainment Licensee–Hard Goods: Redan Publishing (for Peppa Pig Fun-to-Learn and Bag-O-Fun magazines)
- Best Film, Television, Celebrity, or Entertainment Licensee–Soft Goods: Jay Franco and Sons (for Star Wars home collection)
- Best Sports Program: National Basketball Association
- Best Sports Licensee–Hard Goods: Topps International (for Indian Premier League Cricket Attax trading card game)
- Best Sports Licensee–Soft Goods: Junk Food Clothing (for Junk Food Vintage NFL)
- Best Licensed Promotion (tie): Hello Kitty Beauty at Sephora (by Sanrio) and MAC Wonder Woman Collection (by DC Comics/Warner Bros. Consumer Products)
- Best Retailer: Walgreens (for The Biggest Loser)
Overall Best Licensed Program of the Year
- Angry Birds (by Rovio Entertainment)