Global Licensing Industry Study, conducted by Brandar Consulting, and sponsored by Amazon, captures the size and state of the licensing industry and highlights growth of licensed products over the two-year period from 2019 to 2021.
Insights from the report show how several pandemic trends continue to shape consumer behavior and impact the global licensing industry at large, including:
- Consumers, retailers and licensees faced with a scarcity of new entertainment content amidst pandemic-related production shutdowns.
- After suffering significant disruptions due to COVID, the sports industry saw a rebound in 2021, growing 8% since 2019.
- Name, image and likeness agreements for college athletes became a reality, contributing to a growth in sports licensing opportunities as the collegiate category grew 18.6%.
- The publishing category was up 20.1% as consumers turned to leisure reading for entertainment and mental well-being.
- Licensed sales in the health and beauty category grew 6.1%.
- 34% of global licensed sales happened online (up from 22% in 2019).
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policies became table stakes for companies, as Millennial and Gen Z consumers demand both sustainability and diversity initiatives from brands and products.
This theme also contributed to growth in the non-profit sector (up 8.4%) as consumers supported museums, churches, charities and special interest organizations aligning with their values.
Want to know more about the current state of the licensing industry? Check out License Global'sThe Top Global Licensors Report 2022.
Read more about:
Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes, it’s completely free.