As the home of the Scottish and English Premier Leagues, experts attribute the nation’s response to national pride. In 2016, 24 million toys, cards and stickers were sold in the U.K. throughout the UEFA 2016 European Championship, a total of £26 million in retail sales.
Sales of cards, stickers and toys reached just £15 million in France, the championship finalist, and £12 million in Germany.
Top five best-selling football-related toys in the U.K., week ending May 19, 2018
- FIFA World Cup 2018 1 Pack (Panini)
- FIFA World Cup Russia 2018 6 packs (Panini)
- FIFA World Cup Russia 2018 10 packs (Panini)
- FIFA World Cup 2018 Adrenaline XL pack (Panini)
- FIFA World Cup 2018 Alum + 3 packs (Panini)
World Cup-themed sticker packs currently appear in the top 10 best-selling toy products in France, where they are No. 1 and Spain where they are No. 8. Two of the top three best- selling toys in Belgium during the third week of May were Panini sticker packs.
“The last significant football event—the UEFA
Top 10 best-selling toys in £ by market value – week ending May 19, 2018
- L.O.L. Surprise! Confetti Pop Assortment (MGA Entertainment)
- FIFA World Cup 2018 Sticker Packs (Panini)
- L.O.L. Surprise! Doll Assortment (MGA Entertainment)
- L.O.L. Surprise! Lil Sister Assortment (MGA Entertainment)
- L.O.L. Surprise! Pets Blind Pack (MGA Entertainment)
- FIFA World Cup Russia 2018 Multipack Sticker Collection (Panini)
- Minifigures Series 18 Blind Pack (The LEGO Group)
- L.O.L. Surprise! Big Surprise Ball (MGA Entertainment)
- FIFA World Cup Russia 2018 Sticker Collection (Panini)
- PAW Patrol Vehicle And Pup (Spin Master)
When examining Europe as a whole, the study found that the U.K., France and Belgium lead at £2.50 in every £100 spent on toys, followed by Germany at £1.70 and Spain at £1.20 in the week ending May 19.
“Sales of football-related toys almost double in Euro and World Cup years, showing just how important the sport is to the toy sector,” says Tutt. “This makes football unique in terms of its impact on toy sales as other regional and global sports competitions such as rugby, tennis and even the Olympics have yet to make a similar effect on sales.”
Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes, it’s completely free.