Star Wars Toys 'Unboxed'
Hot Wheels, LEGO among the brands to reveal new products.
Highlights of the new toy line for Star Wars: The Force Awakens were unveiled in an 18-hour "unboxing" event that was broadcast online from 15 cities around the world late Wednesday and early Thursday.
The YouTube-based event kicked off at 5:45 p.m. EST Wednesday (7:45 a.m. local time) in Sydney, Australia, and closed out at 11 a.m. EST the following day in San Francisco, Calif. The online unveilings served as the lead up to the retail launch of Star Wars: The Force Awakens products at stores around the world Friday, many of which are opening their doors a midnight local time for the event. Among the participating retailers in the U.S. are Disney Store and Toys 'R' Us.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens will arrive in theaters Dec. 18.
“Star Wars toys have always played an important role in how our fans interact with the saga,” says Kathleen Kennedy, president, Lucasfilm. “They’ve inspired multiple generations to relive the experience of the movies and to create new adventures all their own. These spectacular Star Wars: The Force Awakens products will continue that tradition.”
Among the toys that were revealed were:
- Bladebuilders' Jedi Master Lightsaber from Hasbro
- A Black X-Wing spaceship with figure of squad leader Poe Dameron and BB-8
- 31-inch Kylo Ren action figure and First Order Stormtrooper action figure and a 48-inch First Order Stormtrooper action figure with sound effects from Jakks Pacific
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Hot Wheels set from Mattel
- A Disney Store exclusive Kylo Ren lightsaber, die-cast figure assortment and role play items
- A Stormtrooper deluxe Nerf Blaster from Hasbro
- The LEGO Black X-Wing space ship construction set with Poe Dameron, BB-8, resistance pilot and resistance pit crew mini-figures
- Kylo Ren's Lightsaber
- LEGO First Order Transporter construction set with Captain Phasma, First Order Flametroopers, First Order Stormtroopers and resistance soldiers mini-figures
- Micro Machine's First Order Star Destroyer play set with figures of Kylo Ren, Finn, a TIE fighter and Black X-Wing craft from Hasbro
- 6-inch scale figures of BB-8, Finn, Chewbacca, First Order Stormtrooper, Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron, Constable Zoovio, as well as Black Series figurines from Hasbro
- Remote control flying X-Wing from Spin Master's Air Hogs division
Unveilings were hosting in the following cities featuring local talent from Disney's multi-channel digital network Maker Studios:
- Host City: Los Angeles, Calif. (Anthony Carboni and Andi Gutierrez)
- Sydney, Australia 5:45 p.m. EST Sept. 2 (Maker Talent: Bratayley)
- Tokyo, Japan 10 p.m. (Maker Talent: Einshine)
- Seoul, Korea 11 p.m. (Maker Talent: Dollastic)
- Hong Kong 12 a.m. EST Sept. 3 (Maker Talent: Dante Basco)
- Paris, France 3 a.m. (Maker Talent: AyPierre)
- Madrid, Spain 5 a.m. (Maker Talent: AlexBy11)
- Berlin, Germany 6 a.m. (Maker Talent: Reyst)
- London, England 6:30 a.m. (Maker Talent: GamingBeaver)
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 7:30 a.m. (Maker Talent: Malena010102)
- New York, New York 8:30 a.m. (Maker Talent: EvanTubeHD)
- Toronto, Canada 9 a.m. (Maker Talent: Quill18)
- Chicago, Ill. 9:30 a.m. (Maker Talent: HobbyKidsTV)
- Mexico City, Mexico 10:30 a.m. (Maker Talent: ExpCaseros)
- San Francisco, Calif. 11:00 a.m. (Maker Talent: Chris Pirillo)