Toy company adds new building sets and plan a new TV series for Disney XD.
The LEGO Star Wars product line will continue to grow as the company plans new play sets and a new cross-over animated series.
“LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures,” a new, original animated series, will debut on Disney XD later this year.
“For more than 16 years, children and kids at heart have recreated the Star Wars story through LEGO play, and this year we will give them even more stories and characters to explore,” says Jill Wilfert, vice president, licensing and entertainment, the LEGO Group. “Our collaboration with Disney and Lucasfilm enables us to bring fun and creative LEGO twists to the Star Wars universe, which is why we’re so thrilled to introduce an original LEGO Star Wars television series this year. New original characters and stories, plus two inspired building sets, will bring fans of all ages even more reasons to build and explore with LEGO Star Wars.”
The 2016 Star Wars collection is one of the largest and most diverse since its 1999 introduction. The new LEGO Star Wars toy line will include:
- The Eclipse Fighter and StarScavenger–Inspired by “LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures,” these two building sets will launch this summer.
- Seven new building sets inspired by the original Star Wars saga–Characters from the dark and light side will ban together in the Rebel Alliance Battle Pack and Galactic Empire Battle Pack. Additionally, the Carbon-Freezing Chamber, Hoth Attack and Droid Escape Pod sets will also be released. The original saga sets are slated to hit retailers in March.
- “Star Wars: Rebels” will see eight new LEGO construction sets and minifigures. Fans will be able to choose from The Ghost, TIE Advanced Prototype, Wookiee Guship or AT-DP building sets, or they can build Kanan’s Speeder Bike construction toy. Five sets are slated to launch in March, and three more will follow in June.
- The Star Wars buildable figures collection, which debuted last year, will see six new figures based on Rey, First Order Stormtrooper, Poe Dameron, Finn, Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma. The figures are available now and more will be unveiled throughout the year.
- LEGO Assault on Hot Bath building set – The 2,144-piece set will include LEGO minifigure versions of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Toryn Farr, Wes Janson, Wedge Antilles, K-3PO and more. The building set will be available in May.
In addition to its extended Star Wars collection, LEGO will also release a robust lineup of other licensed building sets including:
- New DUPLO sets featuring characters from “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse,” “Doc McStuffins” and “Miles from Tomorrowland.”
- LEGO Juniors building sets will feature Batman and Superman vs. Lex Luthor as well as Marvel’s Ironman vs Loki and a Disney set featuring Ariel’s Dolphin Carriage.
- Eight new LEGO Disney Princess sets will also be released including Anna and Elsa’s Arendelle castle.
- The LEGO Group will also bring Marvel to life with new sets to coincide with the releases of Captain America: Civil War and Ultimate Spider-Man.
- The new LEGO The Angry Birds Movie line will coincide with the movie’s release and will feature six sets including a piggy pirate ship and the king pig’s castle.
- LEGO will also feature several exclusive items, only available through shop.LEGO.com and LEGO stores, such as the LEGO Ghostbusters firehouse headquarters and LEGO brick bank.