‘Paw Patrol’ Wins License of the Year
Annual awards recognize LEGO, Hatchimals, Funko, “Paw Patrol” and more.
The 17th Annual Toy of the Year Awards, hosted by the Toy Industry Association, honored the best toys and games of the year, including License of the Year–Spin Master’s “Paw Patrol.”
Other licensed brands that took home top honors at the annual awards included Disney’s “Doc McStuffins” and Warner Bros. Consumer Products’ “DC Super Hero Girls.”
Meanwhile, The Toy of the Year award was presented to LEGO for its Friends Amusement Park Roller Coaster.
The event also marked the induction of Peter Eio, former president of LEGO Systems; the late Ray Larsen, founder of RLA Marketing; and the late Sydney Rosen, former chairman of Rose-Art Industries, into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame.
“This year’s TOTY winners truly run the gamut, from quirky collectibles and skill-building construction toys, to family games and educational tech toys … But there is one thing they all have in common: they bring fun, laughter, and learning to kids,” says Steve Pasierb, president and chief executive officer, TIA. “Honoring the best and brightest toys and industry luminaries is a great tradition for TIA and the entire toy and play community. We congratulate this year’s TOTY finalists, an exceptional collection of TOTY winners, and our esteemed Hall of Fame inductees, and thank them for bringing memorable play experiences to families worldwide.”
TOTY Award winners were selected with the input of consumers on ToyAwards.org, retailers, media and members of the toy industry.
The full list of winners include:
- Toy of the Year–LEGO Friends Amusement Park Roller Coaster (LEGO Systems)
- People’s Choice Award–Pop! (Funko)
- Action Figure of the Year–“DC Super Hero Girls” Action Figure Assortment (Mattel)
- Active/Outdoor Toy of the Year–Bunch O Balloons (Zuru)
- Activity Toy of the Year–Crayola Air Marker Sprayer (Crayola)
- Collectible of the Year–Pop! (Funko)
- Construction Toy of the Year–LEGO Friends Amusement Park Roller Coaster (LEGO Systems)
- Doll of the Year–Barbie Fashionista doll (Mattel)
- Game of the Year–Yeti in My Spaghetti (PlayMonster!)
- Infant/Preschool Toy of the Year–“Doc McStuffins” Toy Hospital Care Cart (Just Play)
- Innovative Toy of the Year–Hatchimals (Spin Master)
- License of the Year–“Paw Patrol” (Spin Master)
- Rookie of the Year–3DoodlerStart Essentials Pen Set (WobbleWorks)
- Specialty Toy of the Year–LEGO Disney Castle (LEGO Systems)
- Tech Toy of the Year– CodeGamer (Thames & Kosmos)
- Vehicle of the Year–Air Hogs Star Wars X-Wing vs. Death Star – Rebel Assault (Spin Master)