Sesame Workshop is celebrating 50 years of “Sesame Street” with an extensive yearlong celebration.
Throughout 2019, Sesame Workshop will bring people together around social impact initiatives, digital campaigns, community events and more that spotlight “Sesame Street’s” unifying message.
Anniversary programs include:
- A 50th TV season that will emphasize the “power of possibilities” and encourage children to take safe risks and to learn from their mistakes.
- A nationwide road trip that will see the series’ characters and friends throw community events in 10 cities around the country
- Several collaborations in the fashion, lifestyle and themed entertainment categories for fans of all ages.
- Social media campaigns starring fans and celebrities that utilize the hashtag #ThisIsMyStreet.
- A signature research report that explores an important issue facing children and families today.
- A new localized version of "Sesame Street" for displaced Syrian families and their new communities in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria, part of a larger childhood intervention initiative in the region.
- An extension of the “Sesame Street” in Communities initiative, which addresses a variety of issues including substance abuse, foster care and more.
- A prime time special featuring new interpretations of old segments and “Sesame Street” icons that will air in November.
“'Sesame Street had a profound impact on children’s media, setting a template that the industry has followed for generations,” says Lloyd Morrisett, co-founder, Sesame Workshop. “Fifty years later, Sesame Workshop continues to deliver on its mission every day, across multiple platforms, on six continents. We started as an experiment and it worked.”