Making her debut in the animated special “Furry Friends Forever: Elmo Gets a Puppy,” premiering on HBO Max on Aug. 5 and on PBS Kids in 2022, is Tango, Elmo’s new puppy.
To celebrate, Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind “Sesame Street,” is introducing new books, stories and more featuring the red Muppet and his new four-legged friend.
“’Sesame Street’ is a neighborhood filled with friends who help teach invaluable life lessons to both children and adults,” says Gabriela Arenas, vice president of global licensing, Sesame Workshop. “The ‘Sesame Street’ Muppets are kids’ first pals and show them that friendships come in all shapes, sizes and colors. We’re so pleased that Tango has joined the family and can’t wait to have the world get to know her through these new offerings.”
New products include:
- Furry Friends Forever: Elmo Gets a Puppy from Studio Fun. This book tells the story of Tango and has touchable textures throughout;
- First Look and Find: Furry Friends Forever from PI Kids. Elmo and his new puppy Tango search for hidden items in seven scenes based on the “Sesame Street” special, “Furry Friends Forever: Elmo Gets a Puppy!” The end of the book features Look and Find challenges. Learning concepts include counting, rhyming, shapes and more;
- Storybooks on General Mills “Sesame Street” cereals. This summer, six Furry Friends Forever stories including “Elmo and Tango Go for a Walk,” “Elmo Teaches Tango a New Trick,” “Elmo and Tango Play Fetch,” “Elmo and Tango Do a Happy Dance,” “How to Meet a Puppy” and “Hide and Seek” debut. A dual-language storybook featuring Elmo and Tango is attached to every box of 123 Berry and C is for Cinnamon;
- Dance and Play Elmo and Tango from premium plush brand GUND, owned by Spin Master. With the real voices of Elmo and Tango, these furry friends dance along to music included within the plush; and
- ASO bandages. The new bandage box, available in January, features Elmo and Tango.
Families can also expect to see more Tango books from Random House Children’s Books, Lerner Publishing Group and Bendon; organic toddler snacks from Earth’s Best; custom apparel and pillowcases from CPS; T-shirts from Trevco; apparel from Children’s Apparel Network; toddler bedding and nap mats from NoJo; toddler footwear from SG Companies and customized products from Zazzle.