2019 marks the 25th anniversary of “Dragon Ball’s” introduction to U.S. and Canadian audiences and the 30th anniversary of the “Dragon Ball Z” anime series.
The celebrations included last year’s release of a new film, Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which earned $30 million at the box office; the North American Dragon Ball Tour, which spanned seven months and showcased exclusive licensed figures as well as electronic games; an appearance at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with the debut of a giant-sized Goku helium balloon and successful collaborations with Bioworld (apparel), Adidas (footwear) and Primitive (apparel).
Toei Animation and Funimation have inked a host of new deals including:
- Accutime for two new watch collections based on “Dragon Ball Super” and “Dragon Ball Z”;
- Underboss for two collections including underwear, sleepwear, swimwear and Mo-Show socks based “Dragon Ball Super” and “Dragon Ball Z”;
- Rabbit Tanaka for a collection of tattoo sleeves, dimensional shadow boxes, MDF board signs and tin signs based on “Dragon Ball Super”;
- Spirit Halloween for a direct-to-retail collection of adult and children Halloween costumes and accessories based on “Dragon Ball Super”;
- Traly for a collection of enamel pins for Target based on “Dragon Ball Z”;
- Fusion FG for a collection of fighting gi, rash guards, spats and fighting shorts based on “Dragon Ball Z”;
- Ground Up for a collection of casual footwear, seasonal footwear, sandals, slides, flip flops and slippers based on “Dragon Ball Z”;
- Party City for two direct-to-retail collections of adult and children Halloween costumes and accessories based on “Dragon Ball Super” and “Dragon Ball Z”;
- Primitive Skate Company for a new co-branded collection based on “Dragon ¬Ball Super”;
- Naked and Famous for a co-branded Dragon Ball Z x Naked and Famous collection of denim pants and jackets based on “Dragon Ball Z” and
- Transworld Entertainment for a direct-to-retail collection of consumables, confectioneries, beverages, beauty products, soap, bath bombs and scents based on “Dragon Ball Z.”
Looking ahead to June, Toei Animation and Funimation will be actively seeking new partners at Licensing Expo 2019 for “Dragon Ball Super” and “Dragon Ball Z”-themed merchandise in a variety of categories including pet accessories, bedding, health and beauty.