Discovery has announced its list of partners for the 2020 licensing program for “Shark Week,” television’s longest-running summer event.
“Shark Week” is airing Aug. 9 – Aug. 16 with a lineup of original shark-themed programming. The accompanying consumer products program for the event series includes new and returning partners across apparel and accessories, toys and publishing categories.
New Partners for 2020 Include:
- Smathers and Branson will launch a line of Shark Week themed hand-stitched needlepoint accessories including belts, hats, card wallets, koozies and key fobs in July, available on the licensees website.
- RSVLTS is joining “Shark Week” with men’s apparel including short-sleeve button ups, neckties and pocket squares available on the apparel company’s website or through the RSVLTS Instagram page; and
- The Forecast Agency is debuting an apparel line later this month at Urban Outfitters, PacSun and DesertDreamerLA.com.
Proving the enduring success of the “Shark Week” licensing programming, an extensive list of partners is returning in 2020.
Returning partners in the toys vertical include:
- Build-A-Bear is back for a third year with their “Shark Week” collection which features a Great White Shark and Saw Shark as the newest online exclusive
- Mattel is launching Shark Week-themed UNO
- Bright Kingdom is returning with a line of shark playsets available at CVS; and
- Plush shark toys by Dandee will be available at Walmart and Ahold.
A number of accessories partners are returning for this year’s Shark Week as well.Returning accessory partners are:
- Knockaround Sunglasses is returning for a sixth year with the launch of its special release shark-themed sunglasses. A portion of the proceeds from the line will benefit Oceana.
- Sock Fancy is back for a third year with a line of unisex socks; and
- Freestyle Watches is back for year two with a new collection of its Classic Shark timepieces available with digital or analog movements launching at Ron Jon's, Tilly's, Zumiez and other retailers. Freestyle will also be launching a limited series of its signature leash and clip watch straps made to accessorize Apple Smart Watches.
In the publishing category, Discovery has also re-teamed with Meredith on a shark-themed bookazine, The Ultimate Book of Sharks, which will be available on newsstands and retailers in August.
“Every year, we look forward to enhancing our viewers’ love for ‘Shark Week’ by providing them with an appealing and diverse slate of merchandise,” says Carolann Dunn, vice president, consumer products licensing, Discovery. “Our goal is to allow shark lovers to go beyond watching shark-themed programming by wearing or playing with shark-themed products and this year’s consumer products programming provides the opportunity to do just that.”
For up to date information on ‘Shark Week’ as well as photos and videos, follow #SharkWeek on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat.
This year marks the 32nd anniversary of “Shark Week.” Last year, Discovery has announced an Amazon storefront for merchandise inspired by the week of television programming.