Cowboys running back is the first rookie player to top the quarterly report.
The National Football League Players Association, via its licensing arm NFL Players Inc., has revealed its newest Top 50 Players Sales List for the organization’s year-end with a new player–Ezekiel Elliott–topping the list.
The list, which is released quarterly, is based on total sales of all officially licensed NFL player merchandise, tracking year-end results from March 1, 2016 through Feb. 28, 2017.
This quarter’s No. 1 top-selling player marks the first time a rookie player has topped the list at the finish of a year. Elliott, who ranked within the top five on last year’s season-ending list, was joined by two Cowboys teammates–Dak Prescott and Dez Bryant–in the top five. Other players in the top five include Tom Brady (New England Patriots) at No. 3 and Odell Beckham Jr. (New York Giants) at No. 5.
Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks), Carson Wentz (Philadelphia Eagles), Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers) and Cam Newton (Carolina Panthers) round out the top 10.
Other highlights from the list include:
- Quarterbacks dominated the list with a total of 19 represented, including six in the top 10.
- Wide receivers were the next most represented position, with 17 players. Defensive players (nine), running backs (three) and tight ends (two) rounded out the list.
- In addition to Elliott, nine other players made the jump from the 2016 Rising 50 list to the top 50 Player Sales List: Todd Gurley, Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, DeAndre Hopkins, Carson Wentz, Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, Jarvis Landry and Stefon Diggs.
- The Seahawks were well represented on the list with five players in the top 50. The Cowboys also put five players on the list. Meanwhile, five teams saw three players land on the list: the Patriots, Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders and Minnesota Vikings.
- Elliott led sales of McFarlane Toys figures.
- Brady sold the most Funko Pop! vinyl figures, as well as the most Bleacher Creatures plush dolls. Wentz and Matt Ryan trailed only Brady in plush doll sales.
- Brady also came out on top in player-identified kids tees and jerseys from Outerstuff.
- Jameis Winston led sales in collegiate sports photo collectibles from Photo File.
- Rodgers topped sales of hardlines, followed by Elliott, Brady, Beckham Jr., Rob Gronkowski and others. Rodgers was also No. 4 in MacFarlane Toys/Madden Ultimate Team figures.