Cowboys wide receiver is the first non-quarterback to top the quarterly report.
The National Football League Players Association, via its licensing arm NFL Players Inc., has revealed its newest Top 50 Players Sales List for the organization’s first quarter with a new player–Dez Bryant (Dallas Cowboys)–topping the list.
The list, which is released quarterly, is based on total sales of all officially-licensed NFL player merchandise, tracking the year-to-date results from March 1 through May 31, 2016.
This quarter’s No. 1 top-selling player marks the first time a quarterback player has not topped the ranking since the results began in 2013. Bryant, who ranked No. 5 on last year’s season-ending list, was joined by three Cowboys teammates–Tony Romo, Ezekiel Elliott and Jason Witten–in the top five. The only non-Cowboys player in the top five was Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers).
Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks), Tom Brady (New England Patriots), Odell Beckham Jr. (New York Giants), Carson Wentz (Philadelphia Eagles) and Rob Gronkowski (New England Patriots) round out the top 10.
Other highlights from the list include:
- The Cowboys and Seahawks were represented most frequently with five players each. The Packers were next with four, while the Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders each had three players.
- Quarterbacks dominated the list with 17 players securing places among the top 50. Wide receivers followed with 11, while seven linebackers placed on the list.
- Nine players from the 2016 NFLPA Rising 50 made the jump to the Top 50 Players Sales report.
- Dallas fans helped Elliott, Romo, Bryant and Witten to the top sales spots, led in part by strong sales of their products via exclusive e-commerce partner, Fanatics.
- Brady was a fan favorite in tailgate games, based on sales from Victory Tailgate and Wild Sports. He also claimed the No. 1 spot in collegiate co-branded sales.
- Cam Newton (Carolina Panthers) led sales in active drinkware.
- Wilson, Beckham and Rodgers were top performers in customized socks from FBF Originals and Freaker USA.
- Rodgers and Larry Fitzgerald (Arizona Cardinals) topped sales for Bleacher Creatures plush, while Wentz’s No. 11 jersey from Outerstuff was a favorite among children.