Toys ‘R’ Us continues to expand in 2014 with plans to open 90 stores worldwide, including 22 locations in China.
TRU’s international expansion also consists of the relocation of several stores and 33 licensed stores.
These new stores are located throughout 21 of the 37 countries where TRU already has presence through its wholly owned and licensed businesses. The company recently opened its first licensed store in Namibia last month.
China and Southeast Asia is where TRU will expand the most. It has already started operating several of 22 brand-new stores in China, with eight planned new locations in Malaysia. This region is a priority for TRU, and by the end of the year, it plans to operate 76 stores in 35 cities throughout China.
“International growth remains an important area of investment for the company and we continue to see significant opportunities for expansion, especially in China and Southeast Asia,” says Antonio Urcelay, chairman of the board and chief executive officer, TRU. “Toys ‘R’ Us is one of the most recognized retail brands in the world, and with the opening of approximately 90 new stores globally this year, we are proud to expand our footprint, making Toys ‘R’ Us more accessible to parents and kids throughout the world.”
The new stores the company plans to open in 2014 include both TRU locations and a number of “Side-by-Side” formats, combining Toys ‘R’ Us and Babies ‘R’ Us.
Below is a full list of new and relocated store locations scheduled to open this year:
Wholly Owned Markets
· United States: Two new TRU Outlet locations in West Palm Beach, FL and Canutillo, TX.
· Australia: Three new Side-by-Side stores in Shellharbour, Fountain Gate and Maroochydore,
· Canada: Two new Side-by-Side stores in Argyle-London and Orleans-Ottawa.
· China: 22 new TRU stores, and one relocated store in Jinan Shimao Plaza, Zhengzhou Mix C, Chengdu Perennial Plaza, Wuxi IKEA, Yantai Joy City, Zhuhai Huafa Mall, Dalian Roosevelt, Beijing Shunyi BHG Mall, Shanghai New World Pujian, Kunming Plaza, Changzhou Injoy Plaza, Chongqing Mix C, Shenzhen Nine Square, Zhuhai Young Mix, Yancheng Zhongnan City, Wuhan Star City, Dailan Yihe City, Beijing Inter IKEA, Wuxi Mix C??Shanghai Qingpu Injoy Plaza, Beijing Paradise Walk, Chengdu IFS and Suzhou Times Square.
· Germany: Five new TRU stores in Munster, Berlin–Leipziger Platz, Recklinghausen, Krefeld Ostwall Carre and Wiesbaden.
· Hong Kong: One renovated Toys“R”Us store in Ocean Terminal.
· Japan: Six new Side-by-Side stores in Kuzuha, Wakayama, Yokosuka, Odaka, Tokushima and Kakamigahara.
· Malaysia: Eight new TRU stores in Tesco Klang, The Main Place USJ Selangor, Jaya Shopping Center, Gateway Klia 2 Airport, East Coast Mall, Fahrenheit 88, Palm Mal and Ioi City Mall Selangor.
· Poland: One new TRU store in Czeladz.
· Portugal: One relocated TRU store in Matosinhos.
· Singapore: One new TRU store in Suntec.
· Switzerland: One new TRU store in Wangs.
· Taiwan: One new and one relocated Toys 'R' Us store in Tainan Dream Mall and Yilan Carrefour.