License Global's The Licensing Mixtape Podcast
Why are Nike’s Chunky Dunky going for $6k on eBay? How did Mickey Mouse find his way onto a COVID face mask? Who put all that "Stranger Things" gear in your Target cart? Find the answers to questions like these and more in a new podcast from the editors of License Global, The Licensing Mixtape, where we explore what makes consumers click “buy” on the products that stand out above the rest, thanks to a little thing called brand licensing.
HEAR WHAT'S NEXT ON THE PODCAST
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST NOW
Subscribe to The Licensing Mixtape podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Podcasts or Spotify. Also, let us know what you think about the show or share suggestions for future episodes by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OUR LATEST GUEST
New Kids On The Block’s Danny Wood
From an early ‘90s kinetic whirlwind to a perfect well-oiled machine, the licensing program of pop megagroup NKOTB has evolved today into an ideal blueprint for music licensing. NKOTB’s Danny Wood tells License Global about going from merch mayhem to merch mastery.
Ben Roberts studied journalism and culture at Canterbury Christ Church University before moving to London to begin his career in content design. Moving from writing to video production, creative solutions and beyond to become editor-in-chief, Ben has spent 10 years traveling the world in various roles looking to tell stories in new and interesting ways. A lifelong gamer, comic book geek and movie-goer, Ben's love for pop and cult culture, design and branding brought him to the world of brand licensing, where he sits today as content editor (EMEA) at License Global.
James is a writer and editor with experience covering the latest in entertainment and business news. As a reporter for various online and print publications, he has covered topics as diverse as Facebook ad monetization to the patent issues surrounding time travel. His pieces have appeared in publications including Mashable, The Register, Game N' Guide and Clickz. James currently covers all things licensing and pop culture as content editor at License Global.
Patricia DeLuca -- Managing Editor, License Global
Patricia DeLuca is based in New York and currently serves as License Global's Managing Editor.
Bibi Wardak -- Content Editor, License Global
Bibi Wardak is content editor at License Global, where she covers the licensing industry, the current retail landscape and the latest news on big brands including Amazon, Disney, NBA, NIKE and Netflix. With a diverse background in business journalism and entertainment, Bibi previously held senior editor roles at Entertainment Tonight and MarketingProfs. She holds a master's degree in journalism from the University of Southern California.
McKenna Morgan -- Digital Editor, License Global
After graduating with an English degree from UCLA, McKenna Morgan garnered experience in writing and editing for business, food and beverage, culture, travel and music publications. Now, McKenna holds the role of Digital Editor for License Global. In addition to covering daily licensing news, she specializes in analyzing business and social trends in areas including beauty, art, entertainment and social justice.
Steven Ekstract, founder of License Global magazine, has been a leading voice in the licensing industry for more than two decades. In 1997, he founded License Global, the leading news source for the brand licensing industry, after a series of pivotal roles in entertainment journalism and marketing at Video Review, Premiere and The Hollywood Reporter. As brand director, Global Licensing Group, Steven manages and drives Informa Markets' group of brands and products. He serves as a thought leader for the greater licensing community, providing key insights and forecasts on the licensing business.
CATCH UP ON PAST EPISODES OF THE LICENSING MIXTAPE
- Licensing Mixtape #1: Licensing Mixtape Podcast is Live! - The Licensing Mixtape kicks off with an inaugral episode on the biggest trends in the industry with special guest Steven Ekstract, brand director, Global Licensing Group.
- Licensing Mixtape #2: What Comes Next for Movie Theaters Post-COVID? - Bruce Nash, founder of The Numbers and Nash Information Services, highlights how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the moviemaking industry.
- Licensing Mixtape #3: How Video Games Became A Major Driver for Licensing - Sarah Buzby, vice president, consumer products, Ubisoft shares how the power of fandom is changing video game like never before.
- Licensing Mixtape #4: How BuzzFeed Turned a Media Empire into a Licensing Leader - Eric Karp, senior vice president, global brand licensing, BuzzFeed, discusses the data-driven power of digital brands in the latest episode of License Global’s podcast.
- Licensing Mixtape #5: How Licensing Brought Anime to A Global Audience - John Parker, principal, Patencio Development, highlights the growing international influence of anime in the latest issue of the Licensing Mixtape.
- Licensing Mixtape #6: The Biggest Upcoming Games and Movies with Difuzed - Jeremy Orriss, Director of Licensing, Difuzed, and Daniel Amos, Head of Esports, Difuzed, highlight the top titles in film and video games coming down the pipeline.
- The Licensing Mixtape #7: Digital Media and the Democratization of Licensing - Sid Kaufman, licensing agent, United Talent Agency, highlights how platforms such as TikTok and YouTube have upended what sort of brands can enter the licensing space.
- The Licensing Mixtape #8: Bioworld's Fan-First Approach to Licensing - Bioworld Merchandising’s Jennifer Staley and Beth Taylor highlight how the company’s “Fandom Forever” approach is a winning strategy.
- The Licensing Mixtape #9: Funimation on the Power of Streaming Anime - Mitchel Berger, senior vice president of global commerce, Funimation, highlights how streaming media has amplified anime’s global footprint.
- The Licensing Mixtape #11: How Crayola Brought Back Creativity During the ‘New Normal’ - April Heeren, general manager of domestic licensing, Crayola, sheds light on the unique initiatives the colorful brand brought to life during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Special Episode: The Trends Behind the Top 150 Global Licensors Report - License Global editors Bibi Wardak and Patricia DeLuca break down the latest Top 150 Global Licensors and Top 25 Agents Report to find out what trends sit behind the ranks of the biggest names in licensing.
- See our full archive on SoundCloud.
STAY UP TO DATE WITH LICENSE GLOBAL
Like the podcast? Keep up with the latest news and insights from License Global by subscribing to our newsletter and following us on social media.