License Global's The Licensing Mixtape Podcast
Why are Nike’s Chunky Dunky going for $6k on eBay? How did Mickey Mouse find his way onto a COVID face mask? Who put all that "Stranger Things" gear in your Target cart? Find the answers to questions like these and more in a new podcast from the editors of License Global, The Licensing Mixtape, where we explore what makes consumers click “buy” on the products that stand out above the rest, thanks to a little thing called brand licensing.
HEAR WHAT'S NEXT ON THE PODCAST
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST NOW
Subscribe to The Licensing Mixtape podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Podcasts or Spotify. Also, let us know what you think about the show or share suggestions for future episodes by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OUR LATEST GUEST
The Licensing Mixtape Looks to the Biggest Brands of the Decade
To mark the launch of the License Global December Issue – and the 2020 edition of The Influentials – the team behind the report breaks down their top picks for the biggest brands of the 2010s to 2020 and beyond.
Ben Roberts studied journalism and culture at Canterbury Christ Church University before moving to London to begin his career in content design. Moving from writing to video production, creative solutions and beyond to become editor-in-chief, Ben has spent 10 years traveling the world in various roles looking to tell stories in new and interesting ways. A lifelong gamer, comic book geek and movie-goer, Ben's love for pop and cult culture, design and branding brought him to the world of brand licensing, where he sits today as content editor (EMEA) at License Global.
James is a writer and editor with experience covering the latest in entertainment and business news. As a reporter for various online and print publications, he has covered topics as diverse as Facebook ad monetization to the patent issues surrounding time travel. His pieces have appeared in publications including Mashable, The Register, Game N' Guide and Clickz. James currently covers all things licensing and pop culture as content editor at License Global.
Amanda Cioletti -- Event and Content Director, Global Licensing Group, Informa Markets
Amanda Cioletti is the Event and Content Director for the Global Licensing Group at Informa Markets. Cioletti has been a thought leader in the licensing industry for more than a decade, having toured the world interviewing the top minds in the brand business, spoken at the business’ biggest events and writing pieces for License Global and other business-to-business and consumer publications.
Patricia DeLuca -- Managing Editor, License Global
Patricia DeLuca is based in New York and currently serves as License Global's Managing Editor.
Bibi Wardak -- Content Editor, License Global
Bibi Wardak is content editor at License Global, where she covers the licensing industry, the current retail landscape and the latest news on big brands including Amazon, Disney, NBA, NIKE and Netflix. With a diverse background in business journalism and entertainment, Bibi previously held senior editor roles at Entertainment Tonight and MarketingProfs. She holds a master's degree in journalism from the University of Southern California.
McKenna Morgan -- Digital Editor, License Global
After graduating with an English degree from UCLA, McKenna Morgan garnered experience in writing and editing for business, food and beverage, culture, travel and music publications. Now, McKenna holds the role of Digital Editor for License Global. In addition to covering daily licensing news, she specializes in analyzing business and social trends in areas including beauty, art, entertainment and social justice.
CATCH UP ON PAST EPISODES OF THE LICENSING MIXTAPE
- The Licensing Mixtape #1: Licensing Mixtape Podcast is Live! - The Licensing Mixtape kicks off with an inaugral episode on the biggest trends in the industry with special guest Steven Ekstract, brand director, Global Licensing Group.
- The Licensing Mixtape #2: What Comes Next for Movie Theaters Post-COVID? - Bruce Nash, founder of The Numbers and Nash Information Services, highlights how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the moviemaking industry.
- The Licensing Mixtape #3: How Video Games Became A Major Driver for Licensing - Sarah Buzby, vice president, consumer products, Ubisoft shares how the power of fandom is changing video game like never before.
- The Licensing Mixtape #4: How BuzzFeed Turned a Media Empire into a Licensing Leader - Eric Karp, senior vice president, global brand licensing, BuzzFeed, discusses the data-driven power of digital brands in the latest episode of License Global’s podcast.
- The Licensing Mixtape #5: How Licensing Brought Anime to A Global Audience - John Parker, principal, Patencio Development, highlights the growing international influence of anime in the latest issue of the Licensing Mixtape.
- The Licensing Mixtape #6: The Biggest Upcoming Games and Movies with Difuzed - Jeremy Orriss, Director of Licensing, Difuzed, and Daniel Amos, Head of Esports, Difuzed, highlight the top titles in film and video games coming down the pipeline.
- The Licensing Mixtape #7: The Trends Behind the Top 150 Global Licensors Report - License Global editors Bibi Wardak and Patricia DeLuca break down the latest Top 150 Global Licensors and Top 25 Agents Report to find out what trends sit behind the ranks of the biggest names in licensing.
- The Licensing Mixtape #8: Digital Media and the Democratization of Licensing - Sid Kaufman, licensing agent, United Talent Agency, highlights how platforms such as TikTok and YouTube have upended what sort of brands can enter the licensing space.
- The Licensing Mixtape #9: Bioworld's Fan-First Approach to Licensing - Bioworld Merchandising’s Jennifer Staley and Beth Taylor highlight how the company’s “Fandom Forever” approach is a winning strategy.
- The Licensing Mixtape #10: Funimation on the Power of Streaming Anime - Mitchel Berger, senior vice president of global commerce, Funimation, highlights how streaming media has amplified anime’s global footprint.
- The Licensing Mixtape #11: How Crayola Brought Back Creativity During the ‘New Normal’ - April Heeren, general manager of domestic licensing, Crayola, sheds light on the unique initiatives the colorful brand brought to life during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Licensing Mixtape #12: New Kids On The Block’s Danny Wood Gets Candid About Music Licensing - NKOTB’s Danny Wood tells License Global about going from merch mayhem to merch mastery.
- The Licensing Mixtape #13: How Barbie Turned into A Cultural Icon - Robert Best, senior design director, Mattel, shares how inclusivity and imaginative play has kept Barbie in the cultural zeitgeist for over 60 years.
- The Licensing Mixtape #14: License Global Insights – COVID-19: What Happens Next? - License Global has released the results of its industry-wide insights study entitled, "COVID-19: What Happens Next?," powered by OpSec Security.
- The Licensing Mixtape #15: The Art of Character Creation with Sanrio - Silvia Figini, chief operating officer, EMEA, Sanrio, discusses the creation of iconic characters, kawaii culture and more.
- The Licensing Mixtape #16: An Historic Year Through the Lens of Smiley - Matt Winton, global head of partnerships, Smiley, highlights how Smiley brought some good news to 2020.
- The Licensing Mixtape #17: The Biggest Brands of the Decade with License Global - To mark the launch of the License Global December Issue – and the 2020 edition of The Influentials – the team behind the report breaks down their top picks for the biggest brands of the 2010s to 2020 and beyond.
- See our full archive on SoundCloud.
STAY UP TO DATE WITH LICENSE GLOBAL
Like the podcast? Keep up with the latest news and insights from License Global by subscribing to our newsletter and following us on social media.