Universal is celebrating 35 years of the time-traveling adventure film “Back to the Future” with new consumer product releases this month.
A 4K Ultra HD release of the film, along with fan-created content, a dedicated Amazon storefront, as well as additional retail exclusives, lead up to the fan-created “Back to the Future Day” holiday on Oct. 21.
“Very few franchises in Hollywood history have shown the kind of staying power of ‘Back to the Future,’” says Bob Gale, co-writer and co-producer of the ‘Back to the Future’ trilogy. “To be celebrating 35 years of this iconic film series – through incredible product collections and fan-created content from around the world – is truly a testament to the heart of the film itself. Yes, it’s a sci-fi adventure, but it’s also about family and the fans’ emotional connection to the characters – which is something everyone can relate to, no matter what generation or time-traveling decade you’re from.”
As part of the 35th anniversary celebration, Universal Brand Development partnered with content creation platform Tongal to invite animators and fans worldwide to recreate their favorite scenes from the original “Back to the Future” film. Eight creators - from Uruguay to Ireland to Brazil - were greenlit to bring their ideas to life. The videos have been rolling out on the “Back to the Future” Facebook fan page, with a final compilation video debuting on Oct. 21 and across SYFY social media channels plus on-air during their all-day marathon of the “Back to the Future” trilogy on the same day.
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment celebrates the 35th anniversary of the first film with “Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy,” available on 4K Ultra HD for the first time on Oct. 20. This collection includes all three movies in collectible discbook packaging as well as bonus material. Three premium collections with this trilogy will be available at select retailers for a limited time only.
On Oct. 21, Amazon will be hosting a dedicated Back to the Future storefront, where fans can use smile.amazon.com/backtothefuture and select the “Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research” as their charity choice with a portion of sales donated to that charity.
The following exclusive collectibles are limited to one per customer while supplies last, on Oct. 21 at 9 am PST/12 pm EST at Amazon.com/backtothefuture
- Hot Wheels 1:64-scale “Back to the Future” DeLorean Time Machine and hoverboard;
- Loungefly “Back to the Future” dour-pin set, backpack and DeLorean moveable pin;
- Jada 1:32-scale “Back to the Future” DeLorean Time Machine; and
- Super 7 “Back to the Future II” Griff Tannen Alternate Card Back Exclusive ReAction Figure.
In addition to the exclusive items, Amazon also has a selection of products, including pins, bottle openers, t-shirts and more.
“Back to the Future” consumer products can be found at Walmart, including Funko POP! figurines, enamel pins, a vinyl soundtrack and more. Target will sell games, lunch boxes, action figures and puzzles themed after the film.
Additional products have been released in celebration, including:
- Funko Pop! Blitz mobile game;
- “Back to the Future” books from Insight Editions;
- Hasbro action figures and comic series;
- Scalextric Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine slot car;
- Funkoverse: “Back to the Future” game ($25.00) and “Back to the Future”: Back in Time game;
- Loot Sci-Fi “Back to the Future” subscription box;
- “Back to the Future” Odd Socks collection;
- HYPE. “Back to the Future” collection;
- Hallmark “Back to the Future” Marty McFly Ornament with Sound and DeLorean Time Machine; and
- Universal Parks and Resorts will be selling exclusive “Back to the Future” accessories and drinkware on their online shop.
Fans can visit the “Back to the Future” page on Facebook for details or follow on social media using #BTTF35.