This year marks the 40th anniversary of “The Evil Dead.” In celebration leading up to the Oct. 15 anniversary of the film’s original theatrical release, activations including a livestream, ticketed “The Evil Dead” event featuring commentary from actor Bruce Campbell.
Striker Entertainment, the worldwide licensing agency for Renaissance Pictures, the company behind “The Evil Dead,” has built a foundational roster of licensees over the past couple of years and is continuing to support the film with new partnerships in the works.
“‘The Evil Dead’ is in the pantheon of the greatest cult horror movies ever made, and it has been a career highlight to work with the legendary filmmakers and producers including Sam [Raimi, director], Rob [Tapert, producer] and Bruce [Campbell, actor],” says Russell Binder, founding partner, Striker Entertainment. “The appetite for ‘The Evil Dead’ merchandise continues to rise, and Striker has been diligent in listening to the fans and finding partners who will service the enthusiasm with products and experiences that continue to fan a flame of the enduring horror franchise.”
A new original video game for console(s) and PC will launch this spring and feature 40 years of “The Evil Dead” lore and iconography. Diversion 3 has entered into a collaboration with Renaissance Pictures, Studiocanal, MGM and Lionsgate to create the game with sights and sounds inspired by the films “The Evil Dead,” “Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn,” “Army of Darkness” as well as the STARZ original series, “Ash vs. The Evil Dead.”
To complement the video game release, a new line of “Evil Dead” licensed merchandise will be introduced with categories including apparel, collectibles, puzzles and more:
- Beeline Creative is carving out a new Geeki Tiki Ash ceramic mug this fall;
- Creepy Company is creating a throw blanket, featuring art from the movie poster available now;
- Dark Horse Comics is creating a collectible statute of Ash Williams. Also coming from Dark Horse will be The Evil Dead graphic novel with an all-new collector’s cover;
- Fright-Rags, a company focused on distinctive horror apparel, has a collection of apparel available now, with plans to debut a new design this spring to commemorate the 40th anniversary, as well as some additional collectible items this fall;
- Funko is taking Ash to their new Funko Soda! Line this August. Also, coming this September, a new Ash Pop! for collectors;
- Messed Up Puzzles, a company focused on horror-inspired pop culture is offering an assortment of four puzzles this May;
- National Entertainment Collectibles Association (NECA) is developing a new Ash Williams action figure; and
- Redbubble is calling all fans to their “Evil Dead” platform where fan designs can be created and submitted to become officially licensed products available now exclusively at Redbubble.com.
In addition, more goods from Cavity Colors, Mondo and Wizards of the Coast are incoming.