Marvel has announced a slate of new ‘Marvel Mania’ global activations and retail collaborations.
Now in its fifth year ‘Marvel Mania’ kicks off in Europe this August with the Marvel-sponsored ‘Superhero Series’ sports challenge in the U.K. and continues with a host of global activity running through the fall.
“What started as a targeted retail campaign in the U.S. has grown into an international celebration with a wide range of retailers and more than a hundred global licensees supporting worldwide,” says Paul Gitter, senior vice president, Marvel Licensing. “The success of ‘Marvel Mania’ is a testament to the strength, power and diversity our characters represent on screen and beyond with amazing products and experiences.”
The ‘Superhero Series’ is the U.K.’s largest interactive sporting event dedicated to the nation’s 13.3 million people with disabilities. Six families and their celebrity team captains will be starring in a shopDisney.com-sponsored Channel 4 program as they take on this year’s ‘At Home Superheroes’ challenge. Supporting the at-home initiative, Marvel will bring the powers of its superhero characters to participants’ homes and neighborhoods through downloadable games, signs and more.
In Mexico, Marvel will be announcing a collaboration with a sporting and cultural phenomenon this October. For the U.S., shopDisney.com will feature a month-long ‘Marvel Mania’ collector event where products, content and Marvel-themed accessories and apparel will debut.
In China, a Marvel ‘Find Your Power’ campaign will launch this fall with additional Asia Pacific region retail touch points, new product offerings and multiple consumer activations running through 2021. Japan will feature “A Universe of Heroes” exhibition that celebrates the Marvel Cinematic Universe opening in Osaka from now until November 23. The celebration includes limited-edition products sold exclusively at the exhibition including BEAMS Marvel t-shirts designed by three local artists.
Supporting ‘Marvel Mania’ will be merchandising programs from retailers including Walmart, Target, Amazon, Kohl’s, Hot Topic, Box Lunch, FYE, Party City, Walgreen’s, Books-A-Million, shopDisney.com and Disney store. In the U.K. and Europe, marquee retailers include Tesco, Sainsbury’s Argos, Smyths, ASDA, Amazon and Carrefour, will be joining the program as well.
Fans in Southeast Asia, India and Middle East can look forward to a line-up of Marvel campaigns now through November across the region’s largest online retailers and e-Commerce platforms, such as Lazada, Shopee, Flipkart and Amazon. Campaigns will bring the latest Marvel merchandise online, from Hasbro and LEGO offerings to the MINISO for an added touch of “power” to any home and living space.
Latin America rounds out the program with support from El Palacio de Hierro, Walmart and Marathon. All participating retailers will feature unique ‘Marvel Mania’ promotions and special offers.
Additionally, a cross-category merchandise portfolio spanning video games, publishing, apparel, accessories, toys and more include highlights such as:
Offerings include collectibles, action figures and more with new additions from X-Men, Spider-Man and beyond:
- X-Men 20th Anniversary collectible toys by Hasbro;
- Marvel Zombies FUNKO Pops! Collectibles;
- Marvel Maglite Flashlights – Captain America, Spider-Man and more;
- “Marvel Avengers” toys and collectibles from Hasbro, inspired by the upcoming “Marvel’s Avengers” video game from Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix and Marvel Games
- LEGO Marvel Studios “Iron Man” art set; and
- “Marvel: Greatest Comics: 100 Comics that Built A Universe” from DK, a showcase of some of the most trailblazing and inspiring comic books ever created.
Marvel Best Bets for Kids and Teens
Kids can immerse themselves in Marvel Superhero action through toys, roleplay and apparel:
- BattleWorld Thanos Ship Showdown from Funko;
- Black Widow apparel and footwear launches from El Palacio de Hierro in Mexico, Marathon in Peru, Adidas in Europe and Disney store;
- Spider-Man: Maximum Venom toys including Venom Burst Action Figures and role play from Hasbro, construction sets from LEGO and Funko POPS!;
- The third book in the Rocket and Groot picture book series by Brendan Deneen, “Snow Day for Groot!” a snowy adventure following Rocket, Groot and Spider-Man as they swing through the Big Apple; and
- “The Marvel Storybook Collection,” which is made up of 18 original stories.
Living the Marvel Lifestyle
Fans can show their love through new collaborations and games:
- BoxLunch Marvel ‘Eat the Universe’ collection featuring culinary inspired home goods, apparel, accessories and collectibles;
- Products inspired by the “Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales” video game, the next adventure in the “Marvel’s Spider-Man” universe from Insomniac Games, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Marvel Games; and
- Products inspired by the upcoming “Marvel’s Avengers” video game from Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix and Marvel Games.