April 6, 2018
Held at McCormick Place in Chicago, Ill., the show began March 15 and wraps up today.
This year’s show marks the first official collaboration between International Home + Housewares and Licensing Expo to cross-promote the two complementary trade shows.
“For housewares and home goods suppliers, licensing has become a significant part of many companies’ growth strategy,” says Mia Rampersad, vice president, International Housewares Association, the not-for-profit owner and operator of the International Home + Housewares Show.
To emphasize the industry’s intertwining businesses,
global editorial director Tony Lisanti, Licensing Expo’s vice president Jessica Blue and Food Network’s vice president Lia Buffa participated in a panel for the licensing community that discussed the continued growth of licensed products in the housewarescategory.
Lisanti and Blue gave insight into licensing in the sector, while Buffa discussed Food Network’s portfolio of more than 1,100 SKUs, its extensions into wine and its recent launch of scented candles.
A wide range of goods from leading homewares licensees were also on display at the show including big-name brand extensions and celebrity chef-backed ventures such as:
- Food Network’s Mory Thomas, director of culinary development, has paired with Langley Empire Candle Company for a collection of candles. The range, available as fragrance melts, ceramic rocks and in glass containers, is inspired by recipes from Food Network kitchens and chefs in a variety of mouth-watering scents such as Sunday morning pancakes, red velvet cupcake, wild blueberry muffin, southern peach cobbler, green apple sorbet and salted caramel popcorn.
- TLC has partnered with Meyer Corporation for a collection of branded products for children from breakout celebrity baking brand Cake Boss. Cake Boss Junior features more than 25 “Buddy approved” (Buddy Valastro is the star of the TLC TV series “Cake Boss”) bakeware products, tools and gift sets that allow children 6- to 12-years-old enjoy baking cookies, cupcakes and other sweet treats. The products are scaled to fit smaller hands and are made from dishwasher-safe materials. The Cake Boss Junior range joins a robust product program based around the Cake Boss brand, which was also on display on the show floor.
- Condé Nast has teamed with Tabletops Unlimited to develop a range of branded housewares based on its digital property Epicurious. The new product line will debut with 62 SKUs such as cookware, bakeware, prepware, measuring cups, cooking tools and gadgets. FremantleMedia brokered the deal.
- Country music star Trisha Yearwood, The Cookware Company and Füri have teamed for a line of healthy, non-stick cookware, kitchen gadgets, cutlery and sharpeners. The collection will include 36 SKUs with a variety of sets, fry pans and specialty pieces within The Cookware Company’s Precious Metals collection, as well as 22 SKUs from Füri consisting of two new ranges–Trisha Year by Füri Professional and Trisha Yearwood by Füri Essentials–alongside the Trisha Yearwood Diamond Fingers sharpening technology.
- HSN brought its stars to Chicago to launch a raft of products under its banner. “Mother of Invention” Joy Mangano and celebrity chefs Ming Tsai and Lorena Garcia were on hand to tout products that include the Comfort & Joy Memory Cloud pillow, Forever Fragrant sets, Shades Readers, a St. Tropez collection of luggage, a wallet, a handbag and a tablet tote, Paris trunk sets and more from Mangano; the Simply Ming collection of kitchen tools and accessories such as the Aero knife, Edge of Glory knife sharpener, bamboo cutting board and Nuwave cooking station from Tsai; and a vibrant collection of cookware from the Lorena Bella Kitchen Collection from Garcia.
- Famed chef Wolfgang Puck appeared Saturday at the show to promote his latest cooking innovation–the Wolfgang Puck pressure oven. The new appliance heats up to 70 percent faster than a traditional oven and took more than two years to develop.
- Bonnier Corp’s Saveur magazine and CE America have paired to launch a housewares and appliance range–Saveur Selects. Building on the Saveur publishing brand, which touts excellence in real food made by real people around the world, the collection will include functional products in a variety of categories.
- kathy ireland Loved Ones, a new pet product collection from kathy ireland Worldwide, was shown on the show floor. The solution-based pet range is inspired by home décor trends, yet is functional and stylish for the modern pet companion. Products included in the collection are pet bedding, leashes, toys for cats and dogs, scratch pieces, travel accessories, feeding solutions and indulgent items that feature touches of shine, sparkle and luxe fabrics designed pamper pets.
Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes, it’s completely free.