Goop, Uniqlo, Nordstrom, Thinkway and more are on board to support the Minions in their newest film.
GLOBAL–Universal Brand Development and Illumination Entertainment have teamed up with a slate of global partners to support the upcoming animated movie, Despicable Me 3, in theaters June 30.
“Our creative partners at Illumination continue to introduce characters and storylines with qualities that ignite pop culture worldwide. And through these incredible stories, we’re able to build global franchises that are a reflection of today's complex, modern world,” says Vince Klaseus, president, Universal Brand Development. “For Despicable Me 3, we continue to expand our brand touch points, launching an incredibly broad consumer and retail program that takes a bold approach to product with elevated creative and relevant partners. We have exciting content updates in our ‘Despicable Me: Minion’s Rushgame,’ and have a host of other new initiatives yet to be announced that will immerse our fans in the brand and build on that emotional connection they have with our characters. From highly curated designer collaborations, to innovative toys, to our ‘Despicable Me: Minion Rush’ game that is rushing towards a billion downloads, we have one bigger, badder, bolder franchise.”
Master toy licensee Thinkway has launched its robust toy line, which spans plush characters, talking action figures and more. In addition, Moose Toys, WowWee and Funko have released new collectibles and RC toys based on the franchise.
To kick off the film’s robust licensing program, Universal has tied up a number of design collaborations. Key collaborations include:
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop MRKT, which will feature a curated collection of themed products and Goop co-branded merchandise;
- Craig & Karl, which has released a men and women’s apparel and accessories line at retailers Colette, Isetan and online;
- Puma for apparel and footwear highlighting the Minions;
- Free & Easy for a capsule collection featuring men and women’s apparel and accessories at retailers Nordstrom, Colette and online;
- Akid for footwear and apparel, launching July 10;
- Karen Mabon for a branded women’s accessories collection at Colette and online; and
- Away for luxury travel luggage, which is now available online.
Universal has also secured a host of retail activations for the film including:
- Uniqlo for worldwide lines;
- Selfridges for a toy wall takeover and music sound wall in the U.K.;
- Colette for branding in the water bar as well as merchandise from Free & Easy and Craig & Karl in France;
- Nordstrom for a Pop-In shop featuring products from Free & Easy;
- Isetan for a Minions-themed shop-in-shop at “The Stage” as well as Minions online shop featuring merchandise from brands such as Bathing Ape, Mira Mikati, Lucien Pellat-Finet, Lee, Le Minor, New Era, Yazbukey, Eastpack, Kartell, Yuri Hasegawa, Chek, Milkware, Duralex, Original and Eskesen.
On the food and beverage front, Kraft-Heinz has signed on to produce several Capri Sun SKUs, including a Minion-themed flavor; Jelly Belly for a BeanBoozled Minion edition; and Dylan’s Candy Bar for marshmallow pops, lollipops, chocolate bars, candy apples, popcorn and more.
Finally, Universal will released a host of themed-content updates to the “Despicable Me: Minion Rush” game, which has received more than 800 million downloads.