April 6, 2018
The Smurfs 2,
which hits theaters July 31.
"The huge success of
at the box office in 2011 brought these classic blue characters even more awareness than before, so we’ve launched an even bigger product line for the second film,” says Greg Economos, senior vice president, Global Consumer Products. “The products are inspired by both the classic characters adults know from their childhood and the CGI characters kids love from the first film. We’ve increased the breadth of the line to reflect what consumers will experience in the second film, including two new characters, Vexy and Hackus, who consumers will get to see in theaters this summer.”
The Smurfs 2
licensing program includes products across all categories including:
- Toys and games: Jakks Pacific is back with the addition of several new toy products to their line of plush figures, activities and play sets; Pressman Toys has created board games, card games and puzzles; USAopoly has teamed up with SPCP on a Monopoly game based on the classic Smurfs characters; and Build-A-Bear Workshop will be selling stuffable plush with apparel, accessories and sound chips.
- Interactive: Beeline is continually updating its successful “Smurfs Village” mobile game; Ubisoft is planning games for both console and handheld devices, as well as a new social game for Facebook; and Goldy Toys has created collectible characters with an augmented reality component available in the Apple iTunes store.
- Apparel and accessories: Junk Food is back with more of their classic tees; new licensee Thursday Friday has designed high-end totes, handbags and scarves inspired by the classic Smurfette character; and a range of other partners are planning products for both the classic and film versions of the property that will including kids’ and adult sleepwear, infant and toddler clothes, cold weather accessories and hats, boys’ and girls’ tees, jewelry, backpacks, 3D glasses, sunglasses, watches and clocks, hosiery and pet apparel.
- Health and beauty: Brush Buddies is creating talking Smurfs toothbrushes.
- Home: A range of partners are planning products that include home and garden décor, lunch kits, tableware, lamps and lighting accessories, wall decals, fabrics and bed and bath linens.
- Consumables: Haribo has made gummy snacks to be sold worldwide; and Bakery Craft is planning a line of cake decorations.
- Publishing: Bendon Publishing has created coloring and activity books; Simon and Schuster has new storybooks, readers and a novelization to go with the second film; and Zuuka will create e-books for IOS and Android devices.
- Social expressions: Trends is planning wall calendars, paper and lenticular posters, bookmarks and stickers; and Pioneer has created latex and foil balloons; other licensees are also planning printed checks and checkbook accessories, greeting cards, gift wrap, stickers, ornaments and party goods.
SPCP is also hosting a Smurfs-themed Opening Night Party at Licensing Expo 2013 June 18 in Las Vegas, Nev.
Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes, it’s completely free.