Hasbro's Hascon Kicks Off with a Bang
The inaugural fan event showcased the toy company’s popular brands including Transformers, My Little Pony, G.I. Joe and many more.
NORTH AMERICA–Hasbro’s first-ever fan and family convention, Hascon, took place last weekend at the Rhode Island Convention Center and Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, R.I., and served as a hub for a score of brand experiences, exclusive merchandise, behind-the-scenes panels and more.
During the three-day event, fans were treated to a host of on-site events based on Hasbro’s top properties like Transformers, My Little Pony, G.I. Joe, Nerf, Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons, as well as its partner brands such as Marvel, Star Wars and Disney Princess.
The Transformers brand experiences proved to be popular among fans, with consumers flocking to view a host of Transformers movie props as well as participate in meet-and-greets and photo opportunities with Optimus Prime and Bumblebee costumed characters. Fans were also able to see and play with the latest Transformers toys as well as preview the toy company’s upcoming 2018 action figure and toy line.
Meanwhile, the My Little Pony brand experience drew in a host of fans for character meet-and-greets, photo opportunities with life-size movie ponies and scenes from My Little Pony: The Movie, a Ponification Station, a variety of My Little Pony-themed apps and games and an exclusive themed cafe.
Hasbro also announced two new My Little Pony toys–the My Little Pony Equestria Girls Classic Dolls and the My Little Pony: The Movie Princess Celestria doll. The Princes Celestia figure was available during the event, but will hit shelves alongside the Equestria Girls classic dolls in spring 2018. Additional toys, as well as rare treasures from the Hasbro vault, were also on display.
Hascon also featured a robust assortment of Star Wars activities that celebrated the brand’s 40-year history as well as the upcoming film Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Popular happenings included photo opportunities with the Emperor’s Throne, Yoda and Stormtrooper statues; showcases featuring 40 years of Star Wars product as well as highlights from the new product line; the opportunity to take part in the world’s largest lightsaber build, sponsored by Blade Builders; and the chance to relax in a screening area and watch “Forces of Destiny” episodes as well as other content.
Additional highlights included:
- On-site appearances and performances from rapper Flo Rida, actress and author Maddie Ziegler, actress Isabela Moner, retired MLB star David “Big Papi” Ortiz, New England Patriots running back James White and storyteller Len Cabral, among many others.
- More than 45 panels highlighting Hasbro’s brands, with select panels featuring guests like Mark Wahlberg, Stan Lee, Candace Payne and James Gunn, among other celebrities.
- Exclusive event merchandise, including Hascon-themed t-shirts, hats, posters, mugs and more.
- Opportunities for fans, ages 3-15, to audition to be in a real Hasbro video.
- Activities such as Play-Doh creation stations, costume character appearances, interactive sing-alongs and more.
- Sneak peeks at the latest VR, game tech and digital games from some of Hasbro’s biggest brands.