April 6, 2018
Incorporating all the glamour, glitter, fashion and fame of the classic 1980s series, the Jem and The Holograms brand will be rebooted this October with a feature film adaptation and global lifestyle licensing program that will span toys, publishing, fashion and beauty products.
“Along with the fun fashion and awesome music, the notion of being true to yourself has always been the heart of Jem and The Holograms' story, and that theme is just as relevant today as it was 30 years ago,” says Simon Waters, general manager, senior vice president, entertainment and licensing, Hasbro. “Combining the nostalgic pop culture appeal of the brand with a modern vision of Jem and The Holograms, we’re thrilled to introduce this brand to a new audience around the world and tell a fresh story that will resonate with fans of all ages.”
Opening nationwide on Oct. 23,Universal Pictures’ live-action adaptation of
Jem and The Holograms
will feature four aspiring musicians who take the world by storm when they see that the key to creating your own identity lies in finding your own voice.
The film is being produced by Hasbro’s Allspark Pictures Banner, Blumhouse Productions and Scooter Braun Productions.
In conjunction with the film release, Hasbro has teamed up with industry leaders to create exclusive, special-edition themed collections that will appeal to both new and long-time fans. Taking direct inspiration from the brand’s legacy makeup and fashions, as well as its rich storylines and colorful cast of characters, the licensing program will include:
- Sephora + Jem and The Holograms: A special-edition cosmetic collection that will capture the legacy of the Jem and The Holograms brand in a playful, four-piece set reminiscent of the 1980s animated series, known as much for its look as for its music.
- Shopbop: An exclusive collection of apparel, accessories and jewelry that will feature a modern take on the glitter and glam that defined Jem and The Holograms and its ‘80s rock sensibility. A special-edition Jem and The Holograms legacy doll will round out the assortment.
- Manic Panic: Four bold, semi-permanent hair dyes inspired by each member of the Jem and The Holograms band, which will pay homage to the distinctive hair colors of each character.
- Integrity Toys: The Jem and The Holograms legacy collection will expand to include an all-new cast of premium, collectible dolls featuring fresh new Jem and The Holograms fashion dolls and fan favorite characters like director Anthony Julian and drummer Craig Phillips.
- IDW Publishing: The ongoing comic series introduces the beloved Jem and The Holograms characters as 21st century stars, bringing a colorful world full of fashion, glamour, action and style to life through modern storylines and stylized artwork.
Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes, it’s completely free.