April 6, 2018
Second annual month-long campaign to include new products, events.
This year’s campaign features a supercharged lineup of partners including Walmart, Target, Toys 'R' Us and Party City, as well as Disney Store, all of which will create programs to help fans celebrate their passion for Marvel.
“Marvel Super Hero Spectacular is a testament to the excitement for the Marvel brand and our aspirational characters,” says Paul Gitter, senior vice president of licensing, Marvel, DCP. “We have worked closely with our licensees and retailers to develop this campaign and create an even more spectacular experience than last year.”
A whole new lineup of products will launch across a range of categories including:
- Spider-Man Color Shock Slingers to complement the Avengers role play items all from Hasbro;
- New LEGO Spider-Man construction sets;
- The Marvel RC Hulk Smash from Jakks Pacific;
- A new Black Widow young adult novel;
- A personalized Marvel’s Avengers: Black Ops Field Guide by Sourcebooks; and
- The first introduction of Marvel characters as part of the Disney Store’s Tsum Tsum line of collectible plush.
- Funko’s Marvel Collector Corp villains-themed subscription box will be sent out in October;
- Diamond will debut a Marvel Animated Minimates two-pack series at Walgreens and a Dr. Strange Marvel Select figure at specialty stores;
- Athletic footwear for fans of all ages at Payless;
- Professional scooters from Madd Gear;
- New costumes from Rubie’s, Disney Store and Party City;
- Avengers and Spider-Man string cheese from Schreiber Cheese;
- Marvel granola bars from Conagra Foods, as well as other healthy snack options;
- Adult bedding from Jay Franco available at ThinkGeek in October; and
- A special one-shot Marvel Super Hero Spectacular comic from Marvel Comics.
On the mobile front, new characters including Ultimate Spider-Man, Red Hulk and Hulkbuster will join the app "Mix+Smash: Marvel Super Hero Mashers," inspired by Hasbro's mix-and-mash figure line.
At Disney Store locations, on every Sunday from Sept. 27–Oct. 25, kids ages 3 and up are invited to take part in one of four Marvel events including: "Art of Drawing: Captain America Shield," "Art of Drawing: Spider-Man," "Spider-Man Story Time" and the new "Avengers Training Academy."
Finally, Marvel Super Hero Spectacular is also taking over MarvelKids.com throughout the celebration to encourage kids and families to “activate the super in you” across key areas of Be Healthy, Be Active, Be Creative and Be Responsible.
The Marvel Super Hero Spectacular celebration coincides with the launch of several Marvel TV series and DVD releases including: season three of Marvel’s "Agents of SH.I.E.L.D." on ABC (Sept. 29), Marvel’s
Avengers: Age of Ultron
on DVD and Blu-ray (Oct. 2), and the launch of the
Guardians of the Galaxy
franchise site on MarvelKids.com. ??
On Disney XD, Marvel Super Hero Spectacular will bring all-new programming including the Sept. 26 TV premiere of the film
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
. In October, "Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man: Web-Warriors" will feature a "Contest of Champions" four-episode story arc following Spider-Man, The Avengers and The Agents of S.M.A.S.H. as they battle their greatest villains for the fate of the planet. And beginning Sept. 25, fans can also visit DisneyXD.com/Marvel to play "Marvel Fantasy Super Heroes,” a fantasy sport-like experience that invites players to assemble a team of superheroes and go head-to-head in a weekly battle arena.
Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes, it’s completely free.