Disney Fetes Mickey Mouse’s 90th Birthday
The iconic character will be celebrated worldwide with a host of merchandise, activities and more.
GLOBAL–The Walt Disney Company is gearing up to celebrate the 90th anniversary of its iconic character Mickey Mouse with a slate of festivities around the world including a fashion show, TV special and theme park events.
The celebration will kick off this week with a runway fashion event, dubbed “The Happiest Show on Earth,” which will feature a range of Mickey-inspired apparel from Opening Ceremony. Select items from the Mickey Mouse collaboration will be available immediately following the show at shopDisney.com, OpeningCeremony.com and Opening Ceremony store.
Furthermore, the runway show, which will function as Opening Ceremony’s spring 2018 runway show, will also mark the launch of Mickey the True Original, a global campaign that will take shape through a variety of fashion collaborations.
Additional celebrations include:
- A TV special on ABC with a variety of guests, musical performances and more.
- The season five premiere of "Mickey Mouse" animated shorts, including a special 7-minute extra-length birthday episode airing later this year on Disney Channel.
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts around the world will celebrate Mickey’s 90th on Nov. 18 with commemorative merchandise, photo locations and more.
- Disney Parks worldwide will also host the “World’s Biggest Mouse Party,” a celebration of Mickey and Minnie that will take place beginning in late 2018 through 2019.
- Disney On Ice will salute Mickey as the “True Original” host of the show by creating Mickey’s 90th pre-shows for producing touring in the U.S., Europe, Middle East, Africa and Latin America.
- “Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Special Celebration,” a new production that spotlights Mickey Mouse’s memories. The show will launch in Japan this July and will continue to tour the Asia-Pacific region until August 2019.
- In France, 38 design and art schools will take part in “Mickey Is Art,” a contest that will invite students to craft Mickey-themed artwork inspired by their favorite artistic movement. The winning designs will be displayed this summer in 12 major train stations across France and will be for sale this September at Galerie Glénat in Paris.
- Disney Store will continue to celebrate milestone moments for Mickey Mouse with the Mickey Mouse Memories Collection, a monthly, limited-release series of 12 collectible plush, mugs and cloisonné pins inspired by Mickey’s most memorable movie roles.
- Disney Publishing Worldwide will introduce more than 30 titles around the world as part of Mickey’s 90th including books, arts and crafts and comics.
In addition, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club will celebrate Mickey’s birthday throughout the year with events including a commissioned 90th anniversary portrait of Mickey Mouse by Disney animator Mark Henn; Destination D: Celebrating Mickey Mouse, a two-day event at Walt Disney World Resort featuring panels, presentations and entertainment; and a D23 Gold Member exclusive gift box set.
Mickey’s birthday is celebrated in honor of the release of his first theatrical film, Steamboat Willie, on Nov. 18, 1928.