Custom artwork will pay tribute to Batman’s legacy in all forms of media. The Batman profile pencil design is by long-time DC artist José Luis García-López, and digital paint design is by Admira Wijaya. This graphic will be featured throughout the celebration.
DC will honor #LongLiveTheBat throughout 2019, including Batman’s 80th anniversary on March 30 and Batman Day on Sept. 21. The celebrations include:
- DC will present two commemorative books: the landmark collector’s issue of Detective Comics #1000, on sale at comics shops March 27, and a special hardcover release, Detective Comics: 80 Years of Batman the Deluxe Edition, available March 19.
- SXSW in Austin, Texas will kick off the global celebration with multiple fan experiences, photo opportunities, limited-edition merchandise and a mural by a local artist. SXSW will also set the stage for a moment when more than 1.5 million bats fly into the night over Austin’s Congress Bridge on March 15.
- DC will celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary with panels at major conventions including a dedicated “Happy Birthday, Batman!” panel at WonderCon in Anaheim, Calif. on the actual anniversary, March 30.
- Fans across the globe will gather together to honor the timeless hero on Batman Day, Sept. 21. The Bat-Signal will light up in major cities worldwide, alongside fan celebrations including interactive photo opportunities, live music, food, games and more. Fans can also race across the finish line in their Caped Crusader attire in a series of 5K and 10K runs in select cities.
- Families can celebrate #LongLiveTheBat at multiple Six Flags locations across North America in August with extended hours, exclusive Batman-themed experiences and special merchandise. Warner Bros. theme parks across the globe, including Warner Bros. Movie World Australia, Parque Warner Madrid and Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi, will host Batman 80th anniversary events.
- Madame Tussauds in Orlando and Sydney will unveil interactive fan-friendly experiences, photo opportunities and special merchandise in September.
- In May, collectible art boutique Mondo will host a curated anniversary exhibit at its Austin gallery celebrating iconic Batman cover art throughout the years.
- The global touring exhibition “The Art of The Brick: DC Super Heroes” will celebrate with a special Batman edition, beginning this September in São Paulo, Brazil.
- Romics–the comic book, animation and gaming convention in Rome, Italy–will host an immersive Batman 80th anniversary exhibit in April.
- Visitors to Shanghai this summer will be treated to a first-of-its-kind exhibition celebrating Batman.
- Otter Media brands Rooster Teeth, Crunchyroll, VRV and Fullscreen will celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary through a variety of programming and social campaigns designed to amplify DC’s global campaign.
- AT&T will activate across retail, digital and DirecTV, which will celebrate the anniversary with a Batman-branded channel. AT&T customers will get insider access through AT&T Thanks to Batman content, comics, merchandise, exclusive fan experiences and more.
- Television broadcast partners worldwide will host Batman programming marathons in March and September.
- Cartoon Network in the U.S. and key territories will host exclusive Batman-themed programming and stunts for kids in March and September.
- DC Universe (DC’s digital subscription service) will be celebrating with the promotion of Batman content in March and September.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America will join Batman in a first-ever partnership to celebrate kids, teens and youth development professionals who stand up for positive change in their communities. The campaign kicks off in April during National Boys & Girls Clubs Week.
- In honor of military appreciation month this May, DC will partner with the USO, the iconic military support nonprofit, on a special Batman-themed USO2GO kit featuring comics, movies, TV shows, games and more.
- In the U.K., an exclusively-designed Batman t-shirt to be worn with jeans will commemorate Genes Day in September.
- WB and DC are also joining forces with an extensive list of retail partners including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Target, iTunes, Walmart, GameStop and Google Play, among others.
- Global partners such as LEGO, Mattel and Funko will release exclusive Batman 80th anniversary products throughout the year.
Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes, it’s completely free.