Avengers, Transformers, “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” and other heroes proved to be popular in the toy category as well.
EUROPE–Batman is the No. 1 top-selling superhero toy in the U.K., in large part due to the popularity of The LEGO Batman Movie, according to new research from The NPD Group.
The NPD Group also found that sales of superhero toys exceeded £200 million in the 12 months ending July 1.
The top selling superhero toys in the U.K. (in order) include:
- Batman The Movie Minifigures from The LEGO Group
- “DC Super Heroes” Fashion Girls assortment from Mattel
- Avengers Titan hero Series figure from Hasbro
- Transformers Rid Hypercharge Heroes from Hasbro
- “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” basic figure form Flair Preziosi
- Transformers Robots in Disguise One Step Changers from Hasbro
- Superheroes Batman Gotham City Cycle Chase from The LEGO Group
- Transformers Rid Warriors from Hasbro
- Superheroes Spider-Man Ghost Rider Team Up from The LEGO Group
- Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots from Hasbro
“Superheroes have an enduring appeal for kids. It’s fascinating to see long-standing characters like Batman and Spider-Man resonate as well with today’s kids as they did with their parents all those years ago,” says Frederique Tutt, global industry analyst, toys, The NPD Group. “The recent growth of superhero toy sales has been spurred on by a number of factors. These include the move by big studios to bring superheroes together in one film, such as the Avengers. With comic book adaptations having a strong presence across both big and small screens across the globe, they’ve also become part of kids’ everyday life. What’s more, movie studios are finally addressing the often overlooked female superheroes fan base with theatrical releases such as this year’s Wonder Woman.”