April 6, 2018
Licensing International is the place where deals are signed and big news is announced.
Licensing International is where it all happens, where the big deals are made and breaking news released.
In addition to all the networking, parties, booth events, and educational sessions, Licensing International is above all about doing business. Here are just some of the major deals and announcements made at this year's show:
- DIC Entertainment will rebrand its Saturday Morning CBS morning block "KEWLOPOLIS" to broaden its appeal to both girls and boys. The new KEWLOPOLIS programming block (formerly called Secret Slumber Party) will feature "Care Bears," "Strawberry Shortcake," "Horseland," "Cake," "Sushi Pack," and "Dino Squad" as well as Kewl branded interstitials.
- ITOYS Inc. and 518 Apparel Group Inc. signed on to the licensing roster for The Spiderwick Chronicles (due February 2008) from Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies. ITOYS is creating a number of toys, motion figures featuring magnetic motion action, and creature electronic puppets while 518 Apparel is creating junior's and women's sleepwear, daywear, undergarments, and loungewear. The products will be available in multiple channels in early spring 2008.
- Big Tent Entertainment signed a deal with VeriSign Inc. to create new mobile content featuring the masters of freestyle motocross, the Crusty Demons. The worldwide agreement, with the exception of Australia and New Zealand, encompasses a variety of mobile content including video, video ringtones, images, wallpapers, and mastertones.
- Walden Media appointed Fox Licensing & Merchandising its worldwide licensing agent for future properties for both Walden Media and its sister company Bristol Bay Productions, divisions of Anschutz Film Group. Upcoming projects include The Dark Is Rising, Nim's Island, City of Ember, and The Tortoise & the Hippo.
- Lucasfilm's Indiana Jones returns to theaters May 22, 2008, and will be supported with an array of global licensing and promotional campaigns across a wide range of product categories. Hasbro will develop a line of action figures, vehicles, and games. Lego has come on board as the exclusive licensee for building sets. Hallmark is signed for greeting cards, party goods, and ornaments, and Random House, Scholastic, and DK Publishing will provide publishing support.
- HIT Entertainment announced that Barney's 20th anniversary will be commemorated with a 20-city national Purple Bus Tour, sponsored by JAKKS Pacific and in partnership with Toys 'R' Us and Children's Miracle Network. Other activities include the retail launch of JAKKS' preschool toy line and the DVD release of "Barney: Dino-Mite Birthday" from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.
- MGM is teaming with Brand Sense Partners to execute new business ventures focused around MGM's iconic brand, logo, and lifestyle appeal. Brand Sense will seek out categories and partnerships to deliver consumer products and services inspired by the studio's heritage.
- Warner Bros. Consumer Products named Mattel global master toy licensee for both Speed Racer (due May 9, 2008) and The Dark Knight (due July 18, 2008) from Warner Bros. Pictures.
- In a deal with Chorion, Fisher-Price will create a line of plush, playsets, figures, musical toys, and vehicles based on "The Mr. Men Show," which launches in early 2008 on Cartoon Network in the U.S. and on Five in the UK on the Milkshake! morning children's programming block. The series is based on the Mr. Men and Little Miss books; products will roll out in the UK in 2008 and other territories in 2009.
- The whimsy of Mary Engelbreit's artwork will add a storybook feel to the shelves at Dillard's as the retailer launches a collection of newborn and infant layette and accessories this fall.
- Mercedes-Benz Accessories has signed with Joester Loria Group to manage the licensing opportunities for Smart Car, a new venture that will be launched in the U.S. in 2008. The collection will feature vehicle replicas, luggage, small leather goods, personal accessories, and other lifestyle products.
- The Beanstalk Group added World Wildlife Fund (WWF) to its client roster. Beanstalk and WWF will develop an innovative licensing program that assists the brand in raising funds for fulfilling its mission and increasing awareness for its global conservation efforts, as well as encouraging individuals to be more environmentally aware.
- The Licensing Company announced the representation of Reckitt Benckiser for North America. Reckitt Benckiser is known for such product brands as Lysol, Airwick, Clearasil, Woolite, and Resolve.
- Ty's Toy Box LLC, a leading online multichannel retailer specializing in licensed and entertainment brands—including The Doodlebops, The Wiggles, Strawberry Shortcake, Ben-10, and many others—launched TTB Marketplace as an e-commerce services network that will accelerate the sales growth and name recognition of licensed brands and products online.
Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes, it’s completely free.