Hasbro has announced a series of new games adapted from Zynga social games, including “Words with Friends,” “Cityville” and “Farmville.”
The games, most of which will be available in October, are the first products to come from a new partnership between Hasbro and Zynga, announced in February. The agreement gave Hasbro the license to develop products based on Zynga’s games in a number of toy and game categories.
"Zynga is bringing more games to mainstream culture and is redefining how people play,” says Brian Goldner, president and chief executive officer, Hasbro. “At Hasbro, we're proud to help bring their games to even more people around the world. This strategic alliance plays off of both Hasbro's and Zynga's proven strengths and is emblematic of the new innovations and new platforms we are creating across our entire gaming portfolio."
Many of the Zynga-themed products are co-branded with classic Hasbro games such as Monopoly and Hungry Hungry Hippos. Cityville and Farmville board games also come with a code to redeem for currency in the mobile version.
The new products announced for release this October (unless otherwise specified) include:
- Cityville Monopoly: Different from other Monopoly spin-offs, players will compete to build a skyscraper.
- Cityville Skies iPad game (available in December): An interactive iPad game with a 3D blimp that players use to navigate the city on their screen.
- Farmville Hungry Hungry Herd: A new take on Hasbro’s classic Hungry Hungry Hippo game featuring a horse, pig, sheep and cow.
- Farmville animal games: A series of three Farmville plush animals each with a different classic card game inside, including Disco Sheep’s memory card game, Rockstar Cow’s Old Maid and Groovy Chicken’s Go Fish.
- Words with Friends board games: A 3D version of the mobile hit, the game comes in three versions–classic, luxe (includes rotating game board) and travel.