The last installment in the Harry Potter franchise is expected to gross between $125 and $150 million opening weekend, according to Reuters, and sales of licensed Harry Potter merchandise are estimated at more than $7 billion, according to Deadline.com.
The summer blockbuster films already in theaters have dominated international box office gross receipts. In addition, each film has a raft of consumer products partners placing licensed merchandise with retailers.
Following is a quick reference list to the top franchises and their total global box office receipts, as reported by Box Office Mojo.
* Thor - $264 million
* Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides - $785 million
* Kung Fu Panda 2 - $404 million
* X-Men: First Class - $200 million
* Green Lantern - $144 million
* Cars 2 - $121 million
* Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $386 million
Several major titles expected to perform strongly will be released later this summer, including:
* Captain America: The First Avenger - July 22
* Cowboys vs. Aliens - July 29
* The Smurfs - July 29